HISTORY OF LASALLE
FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
In 1887, the McKenney home drew persons from the area for Sunday afternoon visits and music. Over time they were meeting there regularly to sing Gospel hymns accompanied by the McKenney organ. They soon realized that this Song Service took the place of the Sunday School that they left behind when they moved west.
The following week Carrie Ellis rode an old white horse to every house within a radius of ten miles. She asked everyone to come to Sunday School the following Sunday. At the first Sunday School meeting, there were too many for the McKenney home. They asked and received permission to meet in the schoolhouse. As the attendance grew they soon outgrew even that space and had to build another room. During the time that the Sunday School meetings were being held in the schoolhouse, another group had been meeting in the Big Bend area with Rev John G. Reid, Pastor of the First Presbyterian Church in Greeley and Rev Veeder of the Methodist Church in Evans, taking turns preaching there. The first preaching service held was on April 2, 1893.
Soon after Big Bend Sunday School was moved to LaSalle due to its central location. People came from the surrounding areas – some from as far away as Godfrey Bottoms and Evans. This church grew in numbers and it was decided that a committee consisting of Rev Reid, Rev A Martin and Elder Andrew Armstrong of Fort Collins was appointed to organize a church. The Sunday School, first known as Union School, later became known as the Presbyterian Sunday School. When the congregation outgrew the schoolhouse yet again, John McCutcheon of Greeley offered a quarter block of his land for a church right.
1896 – 1962
In 1896 a small frame church was erected until more space was needed. This small frame church was built around the Communion Table the Ladies Aid donated in 1893. The cornerstone of the present Presbyterian Church was laid on August 4, 1920. This building replaced the white frame church on the same location. This stone building is still in use in its entirety. The present Presbyterian Church was dedicated on June 20, 1922. The Church found again the building was being overgrown. So in 1961, a new educational wing was planned. In April of 1962, the new addition to the existing building was dedicated.